Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Past Few Games

Ack!  I'm behind on telling stories of the past few games I've run or played in since the con.  So, here's the Reader's Digest version.

June 15th game - played with a few of the McK group in a repeat of the game in which we were summoned creatures.  I found it difficult to focus too much on the game because I had just survived the first week of camp and I was trying to work up the courage to confront a problem player.  I ended up trying to avoid the combats and find a way to get the rod broken so we'd stop being called.  Not sure if I succeeded.  Finally got my courage up just as the player left, but didn't get to talk with him.  Let's just say that the following week was awful as I agonized over my decision and forced the confrontation.  I've only had to ask a player to leave my group once before, back in the early 1980's when I was in college.  I'm still sad because I had hoped for a better response, a response of "let's still be friends, just let's not game together".  Oh well.

June 22nd game - ran Boot Hill for the Grown-Up group.  We had three visiting players.  My approach to Boot Hill is to let the characters be the heroes in a spaghetti western style of game.  Once characters were rolled, and a few plastic cowboys from the Dollar Store were laid out, it went seriously Gonzo.  The group each chose a bad stereotype from any horrible western, and named themselves the Rainbow Coalition.  The stated premise of the game was that the group had been hired by the town leaders of Brimstone to come bring Law & Order to the boomtown.  Upon arrival, they are told of two murders by (presumably) the same gun.  Their response?  Go to the saloon and look for trouble.  They ended up burning down the saloon, killing a gang leader as well as three cowboys, and stealing the prostitutes.  They never got around to getting badges or getting introduced to the town.  And the amount of silliness, geek jokes, and horrible puns caused all of us to laugh so hard and so long that we were all sore for two days.  I think it was one of my best games ever.

June 29th - I think we're heading back to the Pathfinder Sky Pirates/Fisherman Anti-heroes game.  While I'm not looking forward to the textbook sized set of rules, I am curious to see where our motley band of misfits end up next.  It should be interesting.

No comments: