Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tidbits and Short Answers

I just realized that it's been a few days since I last posted something.  Usually, I've got a few ideas brewing in my head that will have demanded to be aired out here, but not this time.  School's winding down which means meetings and last-minute cram sessions are increasing.  I've just not had time to think of a decent post.  However, I've had a few random thoughts that need some feedback.

Lulu is where I have gotten all of my Swords & Wizardry books if I couldn't get them at the NTRPGcon.  My books are all paperback and beginning to show signs of wear.  I figure I'll need to upgrade to hardback soon.  I just don't know if Bill or Matt will be bringing any of those to the con.  So, I'm holding out with them in my cart until June.....unless Lulu gives me a really good sale.

I realized that I've kinda painted myself into a corner with my DM-ing. I've used nearly every one of the 1st level modules I have with some group.  This would not normally be bad except that there's usually a couple of players who overlap, which runs into the problem of player knowledge of the traps & tricks.  So, I need to spend some time updating the modules, taking the previous incursions into account.....

Just heard that Monte Cook has resigned as the lead developer for 5th ed (or D&D Next as they're calling it).  Honestly, I find myself completely apathetic about this news.  Monte has interesting ideas, but I never cared all that much for his stuff.  Apparently, WotC is trying to play down the news by announcing the open beta testing of the rules on May 24th.  Again, don't care.  I think I found my game with S&W.  I even tried to think in terms of 1e AD&D (or OSRIC), and found it a bit too rules heavy.  In fact, as I started thinking about running the next campaign using the 1e rules, I immediately thought "out goes Druid, Illusionist, Ranger, Paladin, Assassin, and Monk.....and maybe even Thief".  Then I realized that's just S&W.....

I turn 50 in less than a week.  This is both bothersome and strangely distant.  I find myself re-evaluating things in my life now; time with family & friends, time working or teaching or tutoring, stuff I've collected.  The feelings dredged up by this are very difficult to express.  No doubt the stress of things this year added to this increased feeling of mortality has played havoc with my mental health...and my patience.  Is this what insanity feels like?

I normally handle stress pretty well.  However, I've found myself snapping at folks more often.  I need some downtime because the increase in alcohol consumption is not helping.  Why do they call it "tourist season" if they don't let you shoot them?  Why is there Braille on the drive thru ATMs?  Why isn't there mouse flavored cat food?  Why does the stuff that's bad for you taste so good and the stuff that's good for you taste so bad?

There's a guy in Bedford that's selling off a lot of his gaming stuff so he can downsize and move into a smaller house.  I managed to pick up a copy of Boot Hill, Lord of the Rings RISK (trilogy edition), a batch of the Metagaming pocket games (Melee, Wizard, Death Test, etc), and a copy of SPI's Games of Middle Earth.  My man-cave looks like a game store exploded in there.  It looks worse now that I've pulled a lot of stuff out looking for things to get signed at NTRPGcon.  I've got a small backpack full already....

1 comment:

Stan Shinn said...

Regarding Lulu / S&W editions, I have a S&W Whitebox hardcover coming to me in the mail. I got a 25% off coupon from here:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/lulu.com

Barrowmaze has gotten some great reviews if you're looking for a 'new' old school module:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/98978/Barrowmaze