Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What to Run?

Sorry for the lack of posts.  School year is winding to a close and so there's lots of things to do: grades, comments, awards, alumni, etc....

But right now I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what it is that would make me want to DM for a long time without campaign boredom setting in.  It would be nice to know what it is that pulls my attention away and installs a strong sense of ennui.  Maybe it's the rules or maybe it's my lack of confidence in myself or maybe I really do just suck as a DM.  I would like to think the last one is not true because a lot of folks want to play in my games.  But that could also be because I'm an easy DM and the puzzles or challenges are easy.  See, confidence....

What if I get bored with the rules?  Or, what is it about the rules at 6th, 7th or 8th level that turns me off so?  Honestly, I don't know.  Maybe it's because I never have a storyline; the players make the story go.  Or maybe it's because I have never learned how to make groups of monsters work together and make sense working together.  I don't know.  All I do know is that time is running out for me to make a decision and start a real campaign.  So, here's the options I'm thinking about.

1) Swords & Wizardry 3rd printing as base rules.  Add in a few extras like the Background table from the Dungeon Crawl Classics game and a few other character races like gnomes and mess with the magic rules a little.  Set it in Blackmoor.

2) 1e house rules AD&D.  My first love.  Add in the 2e thief as a replacement option for the 1e thief.  Dump half-elf and half-orc as races.  Allow only the Big 4 classes.  Still use the DCC background table.  Disallow Chaotic Neutral and all Evil alignments for PCs.  Set it in the City State of the Invincible Overlord.

And a new one cropped up the other day, Searchers of the Unknown.  I stumbled on it in a reference on Jeff Rient's gameblog.  It makes the PCs use the same stat blocks the monsters have in Basic D&D or in Swords & Wizardry.  Nice little mechanic for saves and combat too.   I'm going to give it a shot on Friday with a group and see how it plays out.  It certainly has possibilities.

Okay, gotta go tutor a kid for an AP Physics test.  More later.....if I can find the time.
Post a Comment