Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Out of Sync

With the demands of parenthood, school, and family, I've been unable to meet with the gaming groups regularly.  It's also caused a problem with trying to get a consistent feel for the campaigns I'm trying to run.  Luckily, as the first trimester comes to a close at school, most of the obligations are coming to an end...just in time for holiday demands.  Grrrr....Gaming is my stress outlet and I really need to have a regular place to blow off steam, grouse about family & coworkers, have a beer, and enjoy some silliness. 

Here's an example of "how bad it is"/"how much I need to relax": a coworker asked a simple question relating to a meeting time.  I snapped at him and caught myself before I launched into a tirade.  I feel horrible about it.  I went back to him and apologized, but that doesn't really make it better.  Maybe I can release some steam tonight scaring kids as they come to trick-or-treat.  We'll see.

So, how about some gaming material?  Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm running a 1st ed AD&D/OSRIC game in Freeport.  Well, with the other group (the old school group), I'm running the same system but set in the City State of the Invincible Overlord.  The Judges Guild version with some small bits taken from Necromancer Games' Player's Guide to the Wilderlands and their version of the CSIO.  I love the gritty feel of the place and the fact that I can smush it around to make it my own.  I know the NG versions are supposed to do that, but I found them to be a little too fleshed out to do that well.  Also, I love that the JG Ready Ref Sheets work so well with the original JG CSIO.  I love all the die rolls to garner rumors and and events.  Wonderful stuff.   Here, let me show you what I was able to put together from those, in addition to some older rumors that I've had for years but no one's really followed up on.

Recent Rumors in the City State
1. Some of the graves in Redoubt of the Dead have been desecrated lately.
2. Goblins have become more secretive and hurry home to the reservation before curfew.
3. Werewolves are roaming the city streets at will on full moon nights.
4. A beggar was found frozen solid outside the Pig & Whistle Pub last night even though the outside temperature was around 70.
5. Two vasthosts are marching toward the City State from Viridistan. The Emperor is upset that the Overlord has not sent this year’s tribute yet.
6. A sea captain has been hiring mercenaries in the Docks District.
7. A gnome wizard has been going from shop to shop inspecting bronze braziers. He claims to represent the Overlord.
8. An ogre passed out in the Balor’s Eye last night and killed 3 goblins in his fall.
9. Four drunk Halflings are in stocks in front of the Constables Quarters and they continue to sing rude songs about the captain.
10. A large group of dwarves were seen leaving the City State in a hurry this morning.

I sent this out to the players last week and told them to let me know which ones interested them the most.  This way I can put together a little more so I'm not winging it as much.  Now, I am in no way a meticulous DM.  In fact, I rarely know what the classes are of each of the players much less anything more detailed.  So, my idea of "fleshing it out a little" is basically to write a few sentences, maybe a paragraph, listing a little more detail about who, when and where.  I prefer to DM in an Improv style rather than write a lot.  Writing is usually boring for me.  And I hate to read to my players.  So...the tough part is to make sure I take good notes during the game.

Oh, and if you're curious, so far there is interest in Rumors #2 and #5....I'll fill you in on what happens next week.

1 comment:

Rob Kuntz said...

Sounds pretty cool and involved to keep players wanting more. Good luck!