Saturday, March 17, 2012

Traveller Last Night

Well, the long-standing gaming group met (minus 3 members, though one showed up later) and we tried to get back into the right frame of mind for Traveller.  However, two of the players had days from hell, one had just started a new job and I (as GM) was winding down my Spring Break.  So...no one wanted to do anything serious or math intensive or even overly thought out.  They all wanted to kill something.  So, we spent 2+ hours trying to get the ball rolling, with me trying to express that the planetoid they had been sent to had recently become a "Stepford Wives" style of place (including psionic pressure and headaches for the psionic characters).  And they just couldn't think hard enough to put the puzzle pieces together.

So, about 10pm, we bailed on Traveller and jumped to Swords & Wizardry.  Ten minutes of rolling up characters and setting the scene, and they started at the front door of Castle Quasqueton (module B1 of the original blue box).  In the next hour & a half, they had 4 battles, dealt with two puzzles, and decided that this game wasn't as bad as they thought it was going to be.  Evening salvaged.

3 comments:

Flambeaux said...

ROFLMAO!

"this game wasn't as bad as they thought it was going to be."

:D

Stan Shinn said...

I have given thought to having a one-shot Swords & Wizardry module (maybe one of the One Page Dungeon contest entries) and possibly some pre-gens handy whenever I GM so that you can always game at the drop of a hat should things change like they did mid-session for you. :-)

Flambeaux said...

I usually keep B1 in my bag along with half a dozen small lair-style dungeons that I've stocked myself.

I'm never at a loss for a pick-up game and I can run my homebrew hybrid of S&W and B/X pretty much from memory.